Saturday, August 23, 2008

Allow me to relay a convo I had

with some slug of a clerk at Babies R Us yesterday.

I brought 10 outfits there yesterday that still have BRU tags on them and were on the original hangers. They have NEVER been worn. Lukey outgrew (b/c he's a beast) them before I could think about putting them on him. Tey were all gifts and I either didn't save the gift receipt or never got one.

This is how the convo went at the exchange desk:

Me: I want to exchange these items for bigger sizes.
The freakin slug at the counter:"Do you have receipts? Registry? No? Oh you can't return them. New policy"
Me: No but they are all brand new with tags from here and they don't fit and I just want bigger sizes.
The freaking slug at the counter:"You can't return them. 90 days, gift reciept or registry bla bla bla new policy"
Me: But it's my second kid so I didnt have a reg and I got them as gifts and don't have reciepts and you can clearly see they are from here and I don't even want money for them just the exact same outfits in bigger sizes will do fine.
The freaking slug at the counter: Nope sorry new policy.
Me: Is this a joke? Am I on candid camera? So you're telling me all of these brand new clothes are essentially garbage b/c they don't fit my kid and you WONT exchange them b/c of a "new policy"?
The freaking slug at the counter: They're not garbage. You can donate them.
Me: Donate them? I'm sure my friends and family members would be so pleased they spent good money on these gifts for me and you're recommending I donate them.

So if you bought Luke a gift from BRU and it doesnt fit him I'm sorry but I've been directed to donate it by some slob who knows nothing about me and my charitable contributions.

For good measure here is the letter I send to BRU:
"I am writing to tell you that you're new exchange policy at BRU is horrendous. I brought in 9 outfits yesterday to exchange for bigger sizes b/c my new son outgrew them before he had a chance to wear them. They were all gifts. He's my 2nd child therefore I have no registry. I don't have reciepts but they all have BRU tags on them and are on the original hangers. I was told that due to your new policy you will not exchange them. I can't even get the same outfits in a bigger size when they clearly came from your store. After a lengthy exchange I asked the girl at the counter what I should do with them since they are essentially useless to me and she suggested I "donate them" and smirked. I WILL tell every one of my friends and family members that I can't use the gifts they got me and that BRU suggested I donate them. If you don't change this policy I won't ever be your customer again. 3 of my close friends just had babies and I will be buying their gifts are Target and Children's place anywhere else but at Babies R Us. If I am ever to attend a shower again (which is very likely) I will not buy from your registry. I have been a regular shopper at your store for several years. I have 2 babies and siblings with babies and tons of friends all in the child rearing stage. I'm spreading the word. Count on it. I have never written a letter to a company before like this. Please know that complete disgust and utter disappointment with your company has brought me to your website in hopes that I might open your eyes. I can assure you I'm not the first person this has happened to and I'm not alone in feeling this way. Maybe I'm being dramatic but I'm a mother who doesn't have unlimited amounts of money to waste on clothing and gifts for babies that will never be used. If I wanted to donate hundreds of dollars to charity I would do so. I don't need your clerks to tell me to do it by way of gifts that were purchased at your store for my son and not intended to be given away."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not for the life of me fathom what the hell kind of policy that is Chrissy.

Good for you for letting them have it...I'll put the word out too! Boycott BRU!

Anonymous said...

Wow !!! Never heard of a policy like that- heck- K-mart used to take ANYTHING back, EVER.... (altho they are sort of Out of Business, no ? )
I would think an exchange would certainly be allowed at any time- unless its seasonal, or whatever, but even so- its not like they can't sell it again since it has tags.....
LOOOZARS !!! Good for you in speaking up- keep us posted...

Anonymous said...

Yes, first it is really annoying...second did I buy you one of those gifts? I am almost positive I always put the gift receipt. Shun the people that give stuff with out the gift receipt. The same thing happened for Brooke's birthday and Toys R' Us wouldnt exchange any of it! We should start a petition. Seriously!


(plus...gym tomorrow-your going!)

Alice said...

Chris, that really sucks and you were right to email them and you should snail mail that letter too. That is really a ridiculous policy and BRU should be boycotted and harrassed until they change it! Bastids! Rather than donate the outfits may I suggest you have anothe baby?

Anonymous said...

Chrissy. i suspect you will hear from them. I did that once when we sent in a refund for SCOTTS Grass seed, and they sent back that I didn't put a certain paper in it. the letter sounded mucn like yours, and within a few weeks, I received the check from them. If you make a list of people that are not going to buy articles in BRU, add me too it. that is rediculous.

Ashley said...

They are all like this now, I commend you for writing a later. I found this out at toys r us when i got a bunch of junk at my baby shower I didn't want.

Target is now like this too, even if you want to exchange size or colors...have to have receipt gift receipt or the credit card you paid with so they can look it up!

JANK!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it hun

BRU pisses me off man.