Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pondering Panties

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

Why is the word "panties" plural? I get that it's a spin off of pants and it's probably plural because pants is plural, so that begs the question why is the word pants plural? I understand why socks is plural and shoes as well but pants and panties and undies... I don't get it. I've also seen it called a "pair of pants" or a "pair of panties" or a "pair of undies". WHY????? When it's actually only one item of clothing. And since it's a *pair* of pant*s* shouldn't that mean there are actually 4 articles? Pant*s* should mean 2 at the very least and *pair* denotes a quantity of 2 as well. It stands to reason that a pair of pants should be at least 4 items, no? The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the fact that their are 2 legs/holes in a typical pair of pants/panties. Uggggghhh. Can someone with a grasp of the English language or lots of useless knowledge please let me know why the makers of panties are cooking the books and overinflating their presence so? Please? Kthanxbai.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris- I think your toddler photo shoot took alot more out of you than you realize. Get some rest.......which begs the question - where are you going to 'get' some rest- shouldn't it be 'take' some rest? but, then, if you take it, where are you taking it FROM, and WHO? And, if you only take some rest, who gets the rest of the rest? (or takes it?)

excuse me, I have to go get some pictures.

Lady Lif said...

I have a sneaking suspician I know who this "anonymous" cousin is....

I could so use to take some rest right now.

LaSal said...

One pants .... that's sort of like...

Everything except
Government organization
Exact estimate
Definite maybe
Almost exactly
Sensitive man
Good kid
Clearly misunderstood
Same difference
Alone together
Legally drunk
Freezer Burn
Jumbo Shrimp
Twelve-ounce pound cake
Diet ice cream
Tight slacks
Pretty ugly (all of which finally lead us to the all purpose)
Silent scream!

Lady Lif said...

LMFAO at "sensitive man" and "good kid"!!

Anonymous said...

a bit of added trivia... did you know that "pants" in England are actually "undies"? My friend didn't know this as she was talking to a bunch of British colleagues over dinner one night when she said "I wish I was wearing pants."

and I'm fairly certain that anonymous isn't fooling ANYONE

Alice said...

All I have to say about that is..."Huh?"
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
Don't mind me, I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Anonymous said...

LOL! You've talked me in so many circles, I can't remember the question!