Friday, October 2, 2009

Trying so desperately to become someone who

loves running. It's hella hard. After all these years I still only midly like it. When is it going to click? What am I doing wrong? What's missing? Don't get me wrong, I love the feeling of accomplishment when it's done and the muscles in my legs and the cardio strength I know I have as a result of regular sesssion but I don't think I ever get that "runner's high" while I'm running. I'd like to be the person that enjoys doing it WHILE i'm doing it.

I'm running my first organized 5k tomorrow. Since I usually only run alone around the hood or on the treadmill at the gym this is all new to me. Maybe the competitive thing is that thing I'm missing. We'll see. I'll let ya know.

6 comments:

Marie said...

I know a woman in her 40s who's run more marathons than I can count, and she also coaches new marathon runners. Her best advice to me (when I was training for a 10K - I'll never run a marathon!) was: take it as slow as you need to. Once I found my pace (which is really, really slow), I started enjoying it more. There's a point where my breath seems in sync with my body and it feels like I can keep going forever. On the road, I like to keep it slow. At the gym, I like to speed it up and really RUN.

The competition doesn't do it for me. I think it was the guy who was 10 years older than me and passed me WHILE JUGGLING during that 10K.

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

I am hysterical out loud laughing! We are both in the same boat...what i am afraid of is us both stopping and taking a nap on the side of the road lol! I like doing the races to see if I can beat my own time...and I do feel good afterwards but to no avail...everytime during...I'm like.. "this sucks" lol.

Alice said...

Sorry that I passed my "non-competition" genes on to you, my dear. Run anyway.

kathy said...

You go, girl !!!

Anonymous said...

I can see you digging on the competition side of it...Either way, I'm just impressed at your motivation to stick with it. I tried--really really tried--but between my weak will and my erm-big jugs...yeah, it just didn't work out for me. ;)

Tara said...

i'm in the same boat, i love the feeling i get after going out but i'm not actually enjoying the running itself. maybe it has to do with the fact i have the same issue as J and they hurt! lol