Tuesday, September 8, 2009

3rd time's a charm!!! and a lesson in Karma

I'll try and make a long story short here because this one goes back almost 2 years but it's finally come full circle.... actually half circle but it's all good.

1 year and a half ago someone rounded the corner my house is on and cut the curb a little too close and blasted my mailbox with his or her sideview mirror. Don't know who he was because he didnt stop, he left us to deal with it. He'll get his.

It's one of those plastic mailboxes with doors on both sides, for lazy folks who don't want to step out in the street to get the mail. Here she is last winter. You can see how she slightly hangs into the street. I suppose it looks like she's asking to be blown to smithereens. She seems to be taunting passersby.


Fast forward to last spring and my across the street, 2 doors down neighbor rounds the corner and little to tight and gives my mailbox another good wollop! Knocks her 35% off kilter, sends the front and back doors into my yard and leaves her with screws that holds the top on all jacked around and sticking out. She comes to my door and tells me she sorry and offers to write me a check and whines about how her husband is going to kill her for shattering the side view mirror. I got the feeling she wanted a check from me for her mirror. I told her keep her check and she's not getting one from me and to take the corner a little slower next time.

So for 6 months we've been nursing the thing. Rigging it up so the doors stay shut. Playing a game with the postman. We rig the doors, he puts the mail in, the doors fall off, he has to get out of his truck to pick the doors up and then he puts them in the actual mailbox with the mail. We get the mail and rig the doors back on, he opens the doors to put the mail in and they fall off, etc, etc.

Fast forward to last night and someone takes the curve too tight and gives my mailbox her final assault. She just can't take it anymore. She succumbs to the final blow and takes her final resting place in the flower bed behind her post. Marc decides to let her rest in peace for the night and figures he'll deal with it in the morning. We're not getting mail at night anyway so why not let her lay with her post one last time??? This morning we wake up and go out to assess the damage and behold a miracle!!!!!! Whoever the fine person is that blasted my mailboxe's jorts right off has a heart and he believes in karma. He came back in the middle of the night and put her back on her post better than she's ever been before. Her screws don't stick out anymore, the doors don't fall off AND they shut and stay shut, she's not hanging off to the left side and best of all because he put her back on the post backwards she doesn't stick out into the street!!!!! So fine, the flag and the #s are now on the wrong side but I'll take it for not having to borrow a post hole digger and schlep to Lowes for a new mailbox! Good Karma for that stranger? CHECK!

3 comments:

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

I have to admit...i once hit a mailbox down. I did ask scott to go back and put it in...but the day turned into night...and lets just say thank goodness my mailbox is attached to the house ;)

Anonymous said...

Just when I was seriously losing faith in humanity--this happens!! That seriously rocks! I agree--karma--'nuff said!!!

Marie said...

That is hysterical!!!! Its almost like Santa Claus appeared in the middle of the night and sprinkled magic dust all over your mailbox.... or some handyman who was in a hurry and didn't use a flashlight forgot that one crucial piece of information: The front goes in the front!
Now we'll have to see what your postman thinks about it, though. How's he going to get the mail in backwards?